Highball Part One: HOW TO MAKE AT HOME.
In the 1950s, Shinjiro Torii, the founder of Suntory, helped cement highballs-generally served in a tall Collins glass-as an authentic way to enjoy whisky cocktails in Japan. The Japanese praised this simple, yet stylish cocktail as a refreshing way to drink whisky. Since that time, Suntory has played an important role in reestablishing the highball as a popular cocktail for a new generation of whisky drinkers. The recipe is simple, and you can try your hand at making it below:
- Fill a tall glass to the brim with ice cubes and add 1 part Suntory TokiWhisky or Haku Vodka
- Stir to cool the glass and the whisky
- Add 3 parts chilled high-quality soda water down the side of the glass, taking care to not burst the bubbles
- Add citrus garnish and enjoy
To note – a ‘highball’ is defined as a spirit + carbonated beverage, so think of whisky & soda, gin & tonic, or vodka & soda.
Highball Part Two: HOW TO CELEBRATE AT HOME. #SuntoryTimeAtHome
The House of Suntory is also encouraging a special moment of the day to ‘take a moment, take a sip, relax and enjoy.’ On Thursdays and Fridays each week, starting at 5pm ET, they ask participants to post a picture or video on your Instagram Story featuring a Toki Whisky or Haku Vodka Highball with #SuntoryTimeAtHome. Your post will then be shared on the Suntory Instagram channel later that same evening.
How to play along:
- Pour yourself a Toki Highball or neat
- Take a picture or video of you toasting to virtual happy hours and staying home
- Post to your IG Story and tag @SuntoryWhisky using the hashtag #SuntoryTimeAtHome
- The brand IG channel will repost your image/video to help encourage and spark others to do the same
Highball Part Three: HOW TO GET TAKEOUT DRINKS AND SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BARS.
Many acclaimed bars and restaurants across the country have shifted gears and are now offering cocktails and Highball Kits for takeout and/or delivery. In New York City, Seattle, and San Francisco, here are a few participating in this offer.
Patent Pending (49 W. 27th Street, Nomad)
- Menu highlights: Strange Magic featuring Haku Japanese Vodka, strawberry, madeira, grapefruit, lemon, prosecco and seltzer for $17.
- How to order: Order for takeout and delivery via Instagram DM or by calling 424-216-6945. Delivery also available via the Cocktaily app or website.
Bohemian (57 Great Jones Street, Noho)
- Menu highlights: Noho Sling featuring Roku Japanese Gin, plum aragoshi sake, pomegranate syrup, shiso leaf, grapefruit and yuzu juice; Jimi’s View with lavender-infused Haku Japanese Vodka. All cocktails $13.
- How to order: Order for delivery and take out via DoorDash, UberEats and Caviar.
Gupshup (115 E. 18th Street, Gramercy Park)
- Menu highlights: Tiger Highball featuring Suntory Whisky Toki and a cardamom fizz for $13.
- How to order: Order for takeout and delivery via their website, GrubHub, Caviar and UberEats.
Little Branch (22 7th Avenue, West Village)
- Menu highlights: Sea Way featuring El Tesoro Blanco Tequila, orange bitters, cherry herring, float of Islay; Juan Collins with El Tesoro Blanco Tequila, simple syrup, lemon juice, salt and Topo Chico grapefruit; Snaquiri with El Tesoro Blanco Tequila, fresh lime juice, simple syrup and muddle jalapeno. All cocktails priced at $18 each.
- How to order: Order cocktails and pretzels to-go via the side window on Saturdays from 3-9pm.
- Menu highlights: Leyenda Margarita featuring El Tesoro Blanco, Cointreau and lime for $25 (two 8oz servings) or $80 (eight 8oz servings); Sonambula featuring jalapeno-infused El Tesoro Blanco Tequila, chamomile lemon mole and peychaud bitters for $25 (two 8oz servings) or $80 (eight 8oz servings; Palo Negro featuring El Tesoro Reposado Tequila, Palo Cortado Sherry, Blackstrap Rum and Grand Marnier for $25 (two 8oz servings) or $80 (eight 8oz servings)
- How to order: Order online HERE. Orders are ready for pickup Tuesdays from 3-5pm and Fridays from 3-6pm at Clover Club. All orders placed Friday-Monday will be available for Tuesday pick up. All orders placed Tuesday-Thursday will be available for Friday pick up. Orders must be placed the day before – no same day orders.
- Menu highlights: Suntory Whisky Toki Highball bottled straight from their Toki Highball Machine for $9
- How to order: Order for takeout and delivery via GrubHub, Postmates, UberEats and Caviar.
Donna Taqueria (27 Broadway, Brooklyn)
- Menu highlights: Japanese Daisy featuring Suntory Whisky Toki, Mizu Lemongrass Shochu, Lustau Amontillado Sherry, lime, orange blossom and seltzer for $30 (serves two).
- How to order: Order for takeout and delivery via GrubHub and UberEats.
LOS ANGELES / SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA:
Republique (624 S. La Brea, LA)
- Menu highlights: Oaxan Old Fashioned featuring El Tesoro Reposado “Republique” Single Barrel Tequila, mezcal, agave, mole bitters and a grapefruit peel
- How to order: Pre-order through Tock
Petty Cash (7360 Beverly Blvd, LA)
- Menu highlights: Oaxan Old Fashioned featuring El Tesoro Reposado “Petty Cash” Single Barrel Tequila, mezcal, agave, mole bitters and a grapefruit peel; full 750ml bottle of El Tesoro “Petty Cash” Single Barrel Tequila
- How to order: Pre-order through Tock
Bar Toscano Brentwood (11633 San Vincente Blvd, Brentwood)
- Menu highlights: Nacho Libre featuring El Tesoro Blanco, lime juice, prickly pear puree, Combier, agave nector, peychaud’s bitters. All cocktails made to order served in16oz air-tight sealed mason jar and can be batch ordered for 4, 6 or more (25%!).
- How to order: Call 310-826-0028 for take out and curbside pickup; email email@example.com to pre-order before 4pm; or delivery via Postmates
SAN FRANCISCO/ NORTHERN CALIFORNIA:
Pacific Cocktail Haven (580 Sutter Street, Union Square)
- Menu highlights: El Tesoro “PCH” Single Barrel Cocktail Kit (full 750ml bottle of El Tesoro Reposado “PCH” Single Barrel Tequila, limes and choice of mixers) for $58.
- How to order: Call (415) 398-0195 to order cocktails for take-out.
Recovery Room (4528 Mission Street, Mission Terrace)
- Menu highlights: The Guadalajara (El Tesoro Blanco, Lillet Blanc, mango pulp, fresh lime juice, Habanero tincture) for $10 each or three cocktails for $27.
- How to order: Call (415) 523-6988 to order cocktails for take-out.
- Menu highlights: Japanese Whisky Flight (2oz pours of Suntory Whisky Toki, Hibiki Japanese Harmony and Yamazaki 12 Year Old) for $25; Toki Highball, bottled straight from their Suntory Toki Highball Machine for $12 (serves three); Joban (Hibiki Japanese Harmony, Cynar Artichoke Liqueur, amaretto dry vermouth) for $12 (serves 2); Negroni (Roku Gin, Punt e Mes Vermouth, Campari) for $12 (serves 2); Sake-tini (Haku Japanese Vodka, Junmai Daiginjo Sake, yuzu, Asian pear) for $12 (serves 2).
- How to order: Call (415) 722-2138 (Note: All phone orders for pickup will receive 10% discount). Or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Ozumo (161 Steuart Street, Embarcadero)
- Menu highlights: Toki Highball, bottled straight from their Suntory Whisky Toki Highball Machine; Roku Japanese Gimlet with Ozumo zen tea, lemon, shiso and a touch of jalapeno oil; and the Giddy Geisha, their signature lychee and passionfruit martini made with Haku Japanese Vodka. All bottled cocktails are $24 and serve two.
- How to order: Cocktail orders can be placed by calling or texting (415) 882-1333.
Saap Avenue (4395 Piedmont Ave #2, Oakland)
- Menu highlights: Suntory Toki Whisky, Haku Japanese Vodka, Roku Japanese Gin Highballs – buy any three cocktails, get any one highball for free!
- How to order: Call (510) 361-6498 to order cocktails for take-out with purchase of food.
Sons of Liberty Alehouse (150 W. Juana Ave, San Leandro, CA)
- Menu highlights: Blood Orange Margarita (El Tesoro Reposado Tequila, Solerno Blood Orange Liqeur, fresh blood orange juice, agave, fresh lime juice); Jungle Booby (El Tesoro Reposado Tequila, Aperol, pineapple, fresh lime and grapefruit juice, orgeat, absinthe); Carter Beats the Devil (El Tesoro Blanco Tequila, Vida Mezcal, fresh lime juice, agave, Thai chili tincture); SOLA Paloma (El Tesoro Blanco Tequila, Giffard Pampleousse Liquor, fresh grapefruit juice, lime juice, squirt). All cocktails are $10 for individual portions; $20 for growlers.
- How to order: Call (510) 352-7652 to order cocktails for take-out with purchase of food.
Otaez (1619 Webster Street, Alameda, CA)
- Menu highlights: Don Felipe Margarita (El Tesoro Reposado Tequila, Otaez signature margarita mix, fresh lime juice) for $10 single-serve cocktail or $40 pitcher.
- How to order: Call (510) 521-9090 to order cocktails for take-out with purchase of food.
East Bay Spice Co. (2134 Oxford Street, Berkeley, CA)
- Menu highlights: Spicy Mango Margarita (El Tesoro Blanco, Lillet Blanc, mango pulp, fresh lime juice, Habanero tincture) for $10 each or three cocktails for $27.
- How to order: Pre-order cocktails by emailing email@example.com or by sending an Instagram message with date and time of pickup. Pick up is available from 5-8pm.
Rob Roy (2332 2nd Avenue)
- Menu Highlights: Toki Highball Kit, including a 750ml of Suntory Whisky Toki, 1L of Rob Roy’s proprietary “bitter blend super juice” bottled straight from their Suntory Toki Highball Machine in a reusable flip top bottle with prepped lemon peel garnishes for $62.
- How to Order: Through their website, robroyseattle.com, or click here: https://www.toasttab.com/rob-roy/v3. Cocktail kits are available to pre-order each week, for pick up on Fridays & Saturdays.
- Note: Rob Roy was just nominated for a “Spirited Awards Regional Top 10 Honoree for Best American Cocktail Bar” by Tales of the Cocktail!
Tamari Bar (500 Pine Street)
- Menu highlights: Toki Classic Highball, bottled straight from their highball machine for $8 (7oz serving), $15 (14oz serving) or $25 (32oz serving), including a premium Japanese ice cube; Good NightCap Tokikio’s Hot Toddy (Suntory Toki Whisky, Housemade Ginger Syrup) for $8 for 8oz serving; Yuzu Roku Tonic (Roku Japanese Gin, Yuzu Juice, lime, bitters, tonic) for $9 for 8oz serving; Frozen Yuzu Gimlet (Roku Japanese Gin, yuzu slushy) $12 for 10oz (two servings); Ginger Highball Kit 24oz housemade ginger syrup, 32oz of Tamaribar Superfine Soda from the Suntory Toki Highball Machine and premium ice cube with your choice of Roku Japanese Gin (for $42) or Haku Japanese Vodka (for $32).
- How to order: Order take out online HERE. Also available for delivery via Caviar and UberEats.
Rondo Japanese Kitchen (224 Broadway)