This pizza is a snap to make with prepared pizza dough from the supermarket. Either canned or frozen clams work well.
- 1 package (20) ounces whole-wheat pizza dough (or use Bread Machine Pizza Dough)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup spicy Pasta & Pizza sauce (we enjoy Puttanesca)
- 6 large garlic cloves, finely chopped (may vary amount to taste)
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped (optional)
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 1-½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan or Asiago cheese
- 12 ounces chopped fresh clams or 2 cans chopped clams
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- corn meal for dusting pizza pans
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Sprinkle 2 – 12 inch pizza pans with cornmeal.
Divide the dough into 2 sections. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each piece of dough to a 12 inch circle. Gently transfer the dough to the pizza pans. Brush the surface lightly with olive oil. Bake the pizza dough until puffed and lightly crisped on the bottom.
While the pizza dough is cooking, in a small bowl, combine the finely chopped garlic and jalapeno pepper with 1-tablespoon olive oil. When the crust is ready, spread the mixture evenly over the crust. Spread ½ cup of the Pasta & Pizza sauce on each crust. Sprinkle the cheese over the top, then scatter the chopped clams and red onion. Return the pizza to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted and the crust is crispy and golden, about 5 – 8 more minutes. Sprinkle the parsley over the top, cut each pizza into 6 wedges and serve. Each pizza serves three people.