Taken from the book, “Charred & Scruffed” by Adam Perry Lang.
Adam Perry Lang’s Green Apple Caraway Coleslaw
- 6 cups finely shredded green cabbage
- 2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped
- Spanish onion
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds, toasted in a small skillet and finely ground
- Sea or kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 Granny Smith apples, halved, cored, and cut into julienne (skin left on)
- 2 cups small watercress sprigs
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced (on the bias) red chile pepper
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced (on the bias) scallions
- 1/2 cup fresh dill leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Combine the cabbage and bell peppers in a large bowl and mix well. Toss with the sugar and allow to macerate for 15 minutes.
For the dressing, combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
Add the apples, watercress, shallots, chile pepper, scallions, dill, and parsley to the cabbage and peppers and mix well. Toss with the dressing to coat and serve.
Photo: Food Network.com