This was a recipe we created to transition from winter into spring, as beets can easily shift from sweet, to savory, or just keep them raw, and use them in vinegar based dishes (the rest of these beets ended up in a pear balsamic salad).
Beets also pack a punch on the nutrition scale, with antioxidants, vitamin C, magnesium and potassium. This recipe is low calorie, low fat, and delicious, we hope you’ll enjoy it with your family while root vegetables are abundant this season.
Roasted Beets with Lavender & Rosemary
- 1 lb medium beets
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary, chopped fine
- 2 tbs plus 1 tbs (set aside) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried culinary French lavender buds, finely ground in a spice grinder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried culinary French lavender buds, left whole
- 1 tbs fresh lemon juice
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
Adapted from the book, Smart Eating Made Simple, by Jane Ibbetson