When planning your next game day get together, instead of serving traditional french fries, think about classing up your menu with grilled potatoes. These tiny grilled fingerlings require very little prep work, and crisp up nicely over an open flame. They’re also much healthier than fried foods. Try them with a wine infused ketchup for a unique twist on an old favorite!
Grilled Fingerlings With Cabernet Ketchup
Serve with Tom Gore Cabernet Blend, 2013
Yields 8 Servings
For Cabernet Ketchup:
- 1 Red onion; chopped
- 2 Cloves garlic; chopped
- 1 Tablespoon ginger; grated
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 Pounds tomatoes; peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 Cups water
- ¼ Cup light brown sugar
- ¼ Cup red wine vinegar
- ½ Cup Tom Gore Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 Tablespoon coriander seed; toasted
- 1 Tablespoon fennel seed; toasted
- 1 Tablespoon celery seed; toasted
- 1 Clove
- ¼ Teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 Tablespoon celery salt
- 2 Tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
For Fingerling Potatoes:
- 2 Pounds fingerling potatoes
- ¼ Cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons smoked paprika
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese; grated
- Salt to tastePreparation:
1. In a large heavy bottomed sauce pan, on low heat, sweat onion, garlic, ginger with the olive oil until onion is soft and translucent.
2. Meanwhile, make a bouquet garni, with the coriander seed, fennel seed, celery seed, and clove.
3. Turn heat to med-high and add the tomatoes and water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Reduce by half. Remove from heat.
4. Place mixture in a blender and blend until smooth. Pass through a sieve into a new pot with the bouquet garni, sugar, wine, and vinegar. Add remaining spices. Simmer until it thickens and reaches the consistency of ketchup.
5. Remove from heat and remove and discard the bouquet garni. Allow to cool.
6. For potatoes, cut each potato in half length-wise and toss in the olive oil, salt, and paprika.
7. On medium heat, place cut side down onto grill. Cook about 4 minutes on each side or until cook through. Remove from heat.
8. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve with chilled ketchup.