Nothing says game day like barbecue and grilling! Check out this red wine barbecue sauce recipe, featuring red wine, berries, balsamic vinegar, and adobe. Perfect for chicken, ribs, or wings.
Blackberry Chipotle Red Wine Barbecue Sauce
by Susan Palmer, The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Serves: approximately 16
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- ½ tablespoon avocado or grapeseed oil
- 2 cups fresh blackberries
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¾ cup Truvée Red Blend Wine, divided
- ¼ cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 whole chipotles in adobe sauce
- 2 tablespoons adobe sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
1. In a large saucepan over medium heat drizzle the avocado oil and add the onions. Sautee until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the blackberries, ketchup, ½ cup wine, balsamic vinegar, chipotles, adobo sauce, brown sugar and salt to the pan.
3. Bring to a boil and lower the heat to a simmer.
4. Cook for 15 minutes or until the blackberries start to soften.
5. Remove from the heat and transfer to your blender. Carefully puree the barbecue sauce until smooth.
6. Place a fine mesh sieve over the saucepan and pour in the sauce into the sieve.
7. Using a spoon press the sauce through until only the solids are left, discard and add the remaining ¼ cup of wine.
8. Return the saucepan to medium heat and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
9. Let the sauce cool slightly before applying to chicken, pork, beef or seafood.