Spicy Clams and Mussels (Sautè di vongole e cozze)
INGREDIENTS: (4 servings)
- 1 Dozen small Clams, cleaned and washed
- 1 Dozen Mussels, cleaned and washed
- 1 Large can peeled Italian Tomatoes
- 1 Cup dry White Wine
- 1 Cup Chicken or Fish Broth
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, finely chopped
- handful of parsley leaves, washed, patted dry and chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
In a large heavy pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and the broth until softened, about 2 minutes. Add white wine and red pepper flakes, and cook for 1 minute.
Crush the tomatoes in the can with a sharp knife, and add to the pot with their juice. Add parsley, salt and pepper then bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Add the clams and mussels to the pot, cover tightly and cook until the shells open. Transfer clams and mussels to a serving plates, pour sauce over and serve.
Photo Credit: Flickr