Caramelized Bacon Jam Burger
Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 3-4 hefty burgers
- 2 teaspoons finely minced shallot or onion
- 1/2 pound lean ground bison
- 1/2 pound grass-fed ground beef (I used 85 percent; if using a leaner grind, the burgers are a bit more fragile on the grill)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons savory fruit condiment*
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 slices bacon, fried and crumbled
- 3-4 hamburger buns, sliced horizontally if whole
- 1 fistful of arugula
- 4-5 ounces ripe brie, cut into thin slices
*Homemade jam or chutney is preferred.
1. Prepare gas or charcoal grill to medium-high heat .
2. Combine shallot or onion, grinds, salt and pepper. Form into 3-4 patties, depending on how thick you prefer your burgers.
3. Oil grill grates and place burgers on grates. (Remember: the leaner the grind, the more fragile the burger.)
4. Grill 3-5 minutes on each side, or until desired doneness.
5. Meanwhile, combine the chutney and mayonnaise, stir in bacon, and spread on the cut side of each bun half. Arrange arugula and brie on buns and tuck burgers in-between.
Credit: Ann Arbor.com.