Gluten Free Free-form Apple Pie
- Gluten-free plain flour, for dusting
- 1 egg, separated
- 1/4 cup ground almonds (almond meal)
- 400g Granny Smith or Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon raw demerara sugar
- 1/3 cup pure icing sugar, sifted
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free plain flour
- 125g butter, cubed, chilled
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chilled water
Place icing sugar, flour and butter into a food processor. Process until combined. Add 2 tablespoons of water. Process until pastry just starts to come together, adding more water if necessary.
Turn pastry onto a lightly floured surface. Flatten into a disc. Wrap in baking paper. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 190°C. Dust a large sheet of baking paper with flour. Place pastry onto baking paper. Roll out to a 30cm (diameter) circle. Transfer pastry (still on baking paper) to a large baking tray. Whisk egg yolk. Brush pastry with egg yolk, leaving a 5cm border around edges. Sprinkle almonds over egg yolk. Arrange apple slices over pastry (leaving border free). Sprinkle with raw sugar.
Fold pastry border in over apples. Lightly whisk egg white. Brush pastry edges with egg white. Sprinkle with raw sugar.
Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 180°C. Bake for a further 15 minutes or until pastry is golden. Serve.