Back in 1988, an event was started to give back to local communities, and those who had less than many of us on a daily basis.
Twice a year, Taste of the Nation brings together some of the most creative culinary minds across the United States. National celebrity chefs and mixologists including Stephan Pyles, mixologist Tony Abou-Ganim, Bravo’s Top Chef Tom Collichio, Michael Voltaggio and Celina Tio and thousands more like them donate their time, talent and passion at nearly 40 events across the United States and Canada with one goal in mind: to raise critical funds needed to help end childhood hunger.
“100% of ticket sales from Taste of the Nation support Share Our Strength’s efforts to end childhood hunger.”
This month, on Saturday, August 6th, 2011, Florida residents have the opportunity to once again give back, at Taste of the Nation’s 22nd Annual Charity event, to be held at the Marriott World Center, in Orlando, Florida.
This premier culinary event features unique and succulent specialties from 34 of Central Florida’s finest restaurants and chefs, a fabulous silent auction and raffle, and live entertainment. EVERY DOLLAR raised fights hunger and homelessness in our community and around the world.
Tickets are still available, and can be purchased here.
In addition to supporting these great causes, here’s the complete list of Taste of the Nation Orlando restaurants for 2011. Some of the menu items that will be featured include:
- Seafood Paella – Assorted Seafood, Chicken, Sausage and Peas with Yellow Rice.
- The Rumba Cocktail – Bacardi Limon Infused with Pineapple, Fresh Ginger, Watermelon and Cinnamon. Get Ready to Rumba!
- Florida Tomatoes, Vidalia Onions, Watermelon, Feta Cheese, Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Mojo Marinated Skirt Steak, Outback Rice, Pico De Gallo
- Assortment of Dessert Shots
- Citrus Ceviche Shooters
- Local Seafood Gumbo – Fresh Florida Fish, Cape Canaveral Royal Red Shrimp, Tomazin Farms Okra, Andouille Biscuit
- Organic Heirloom Greens Salad
- Moroccan Bisteeya-Inspired Compote, Cardamom and Cinnamon Masala Cream
- Chef Fonzo Shares: A Tasting of What I Learned at ‘The Edible Schoolyard’
- Chef’s Charcuterie Table Featuring House-made Sausages, Cured Meats, Terrines and Pickled Vegetables
This year’s Taste of the Nation is surely not to be missed, with James Beard Award Nominees:
- Kevin Fonzo from K Restaurant
- Hari Pulapaka from Cress Restaurant in Deland
- James and Julie Petrakis from Ravenous Pig
Beverages will be provided by Brown Forman Brands, Blue Martini, Barefoot Wines, and more.
Don’t forget, tickets are still available when this post went to ‘press’! You can get them here.